Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Top 14 Reasons that "Action-Romance-Comedies" are Recipes for Success

I have a theory - movies that I like to classify as "Action-romance-comedies" are a recipe for success. They may not be the most cinematically pleasing films ever, but dammit, are they entertaining. Classics that did not make the top 20 highest grossing films of all time include - the Back to the Future trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy (not the last one).

1. The number one highest grossing movie of all time - Titanic. Action? Yes. Romance? Yes. Comedy? It was in there. Combine this with a little bit of drama, a Celine Dion song and Leomania and bam, number one.

2. The second highest grossing movie of all time - The Dark Knight. Action? Hell yes. Romance - Yup. Comedy? Heath Ledger (not the fact that he died, I thought he was actually funny...dammit, awkward?)

3. Numbers 3, 6, and 9 were all Star Wars films - Episodes IV, I, and III respectively. Action? Uhhhh it's Star Wars. Romance? Sure. Comedy? Okay I'm not sure about that one, but I definitely remember feeling amused at something Han Solo said once. This plus the crazy-ass following of Star Wars, done and done.

4. Shrek 2 - coming in at the 4th highest grossing movie ever. Action, romance and comedy...and cartoon. People went to see it because they loved the first....

5. Numbers 5 and 12 I'm not sure what to do about - E.T. (which terrifies me even to this day and I don't even want to think about) and the Passion of the Christ. I think my obligation as a baptized Catholic is to leave this one alone. Consider this my counterargument.

6. Number 7!!!!! POTCDMC!!!! Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest! Albiet the second most disappointing movie in the series, it shows the triumph of the first and how AWESOME it is. Action, romance, comedy, aweeeessommeee. The epitome of my recipe for success.

7. Numbers 8, 11, and 16 - more proof. Spidermans II, I and III. Damn entertaining, even if the third one was kind of lame.

8. Numbers 10 and 14 - Lord of the Rings II and III. Similar to Star Wars?

9. Number 13 - Jurassic Park! Clever Girl...

10. Number 15 - Finding Nemo...okay, no romance, unless you count mama fish dying.

11. Number 17 -Forrest Gump

12. Number 18 - The Lion King

13. Number 19 - Shrek! Again!

14. Number 20 - Another classic - Transformers.

No comments:

Post a Comment